Sunniva the First is finished. Holy heck, that was quite a process! Thanks so much for all the encouragement, advice, and kindness along the way! It’s somewhat embarrassing to open up the design process when it doesn’t go as planned, but the end result makes me feel glad for all the changes and rips and frustrations, since the fact that I didn’t compromise means that I got the sweater that was in my head. I have a thing for puffed sleeves, though of course, a knitter who wanted to make the longer sleeved Sunniva and didn’t like puffed sleeves could easily knit straight and have a rather different look.
So, traveling back in time to the beginning, you’ll remember that I wanted to design a sweater that was very much like a tee shirt in ease of wear, but more formal in look and style. I like button down blouses, but I’m not too keen on potential gapping at the button band, or in the fiddly process of fastening such a garment. I feel very happy with what I’ve got here. It is a tee shirt, essentially, but I think it does have a more formal look. It’s very comfortable to wear, and the false button band looks pretty much as I’d hoped it would with my first, failed method of using twisted stitches. Since I was basing it on jersey tees, the shaping is at the sides, taking advantage of the knitted fabric’s stretch and natural drape. I am a big fan of darts, but sometimes I feel like they interrupt the look of plain stockinette, and so in this case, we left the shaping to the sides.
The yarn is of course BFL wool from OrangeFlower, custom dyed in a Red Violet. I love the color ridiculous amounts, which you may already know, since I haven’t shut up about it since I started. It’s a light fingering weight. The light part is important – it makes the fabric very breathable, and it means that the gauge is a little different than what you might get with a regular fingering weight.
Now, I still have to make – or rather remake – the second, short sleeved version of Sunniva, which will also incorporate an optional lace neck edging. For comparison’s sake, here’s the starting sketch (which is of the other version of Sunniva) next to the finished longer sleeved version, without the optional lace.
It makes me happy to see that it’s pretty darn close. I have everything I need for the second version, and my great hope is that it will go pretty fast, since the first one is done and can be used as a template.