When I realized that Sunniva was going to need to be reknit, I was being really, really good. I had only two projects on the needles: Sunniva, and Veyla. And I was determined to keep it that way. A little fidelity never hurt anyone.
But when it hit me that I was going to have to rip my lovely sweater, that the time of release would be delayed, that everything was not right, I broke down. Veyla’s awesome, and I’ve kept at it, but it’s in the same yarn, in the same color, as Sunniva. Ouch. Too many memories. It’s like dating the twin brother of the guy who just broke your heart.
So, in a fit of self pity, I wound my Becoming Art Cielo Fingering and cast on for a Milkweed Shawl. Wound, I see a lot more of the blacks in the yarn than I saw when it was in skein form. And knit up, I see something different altogether. Fascinating yarn.
This is a fun, fast, easy pattern with just enough of interest to keep you engaged. I personally have liked the Milkweeds knit in variegated yarns a whole heck of a lot, so I wanted to go that route myself. The color changes also keep it interesting.
This picture is more accurate as to shawl color, but less accurate as to rug color. My camera really wants to emphasize the reds in the yarn, but there’s a lot of greys and blacks as well, and the combination is very interesting. It has an orangey autumn leaf look at a distance, but up close you see the pinks and blacks as well. I love it.
It’s working, too, because I’m ready to get back to Sunniva. Yesterday and the day before I spent some time swatching and made this peculiar little tube.
It doesn’t look like much, but it’s a sort of knitting Rosetta Stone for me. I knit it in the round, as I’ve discovered that the problem I was having only shows up when I knit in the round. My twisted stitches want to lean left when knit in the round, even, I discovered, when I twist them in mirror directions. They just want to go in the direction the knitting goes. Although it’s not obvious, I think I solved the problem with one of the experiments on the tube (divided by purl ridges) in a sort of modified heel stitch. Hooray! I’ve adjusted all the math to the smaller gauge and I think I’m ready to cast on number two today.
No new pictures of Veyla, although it’s coming along, as I’ve only finished the cuffs, and they look almost identical and do not make for interesting pictures just yet.