Lazy Susan

Susan Scarf
Inspired by the the awesome Dayflower Scarf at StitchinGirl, I decided to make my mother a lace scarf. But not the Dayflower Lace Scarf, mostly because I messed up a few times when I tried it. So this is the Susan Scarf, named for my mother. It’s very easy to make, hence the “lazy” in the title of this post. I made mine in random crochet cotton that someone gave me. It’s DK weight, so any DK weight cotton yarn would work for this scarf. Mind you, with scarves, I don’t worry too much about gauge, so really, any yarn would work, as long as you use needles a few times larger than the size recommended for the gauge.

Materials: One skein cotton DK yarn
U.S. size 8 needles (5 mm)

Finished dimensions: Approximately 5″ by 60″

Cast on 21 stitches and work four rows in garter stitch.
Over the next 60″, garter stitch for three stitches on each side of the lace pattern. Here’s the lace repeat, adapted from the Vogue Knitting stitch dictionary. Use the repeat over the middle fifteen stitches. Knit in pattern until the scarf is the desired length, approximately 60″, and then knit four rows in garter stitch and cast off. As with most lace patterns, this scarf will definitely need some blocking to flatten and show off the pattern.
SKP= Slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over the knit stitch

Row 1 (RS): K3, SKP, k4, k2tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k1
Row 2 and all WS rows: K the knit sts and p the purl sts.
Row 3: K1, yo, k2, SKP, k2, k2tog, k2, yo, k4
Row 5: K2, yo, k2, SKP, k2tog, k2, yo, k5
Row 7: K1, yo, k1, yo, k2, SKP, k4, k2tog, k3
Row 9: K4, yo, k2, SKP, k2, k2tog, k2, yo, k1
Row 11: K5, yo, k2, SKP, k2tog, k2, yo, k2
Row 12: Purl
Repeat rows 1-12

Posted in Finished Projects, Free Patterns, Knitting, Scarves, Self Designed
14 comments on “Lazy Susan
  1. nihal says:

i loved the colors you used and love the lace pattern.

i am always confused with the american way of describing the yarn thickness. we dont have such expressions.. i would love to learn more about these.

2. spiffygrits says:

Thank you muchly! I had to look up other words to describe DK weight yarn, since that is the only way I’ve heard it described. DK is, according to Knitpicks, yarn with a gauge of 5.25 to 6 stitches per inch. It’s a little heavier than lace weight yarn, but not as heavy as worsted weight.

3. Sarah says:

Beautiful scarf, Kristen! I jumped over here from BNBBT when I saw your link. Turns out I’m a nerdy knit blogger, too. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects!

Cheers,
    Sarah P.

4. Lori says:

I still love the scarf, and thanks for posting the pattern. I’m very glad to see it uses DK yarn because there is a really lovely DK yarn that I have been dying to get, but there is no way I could afford to use it in any piece of clothing. It would be perfect for the scarf.

5. spiffygrits says:

Sarah, I was very glad to find another knitter! Your site is marvelous. You have been duly added to my list o’ knitting blogs that I read regularly. When I get the hang of WordPress, I can link you from here. I haven’t figured out a blogroll yet.

Lori, it’s so so very easy, and lace is such a good way to get a lot out of a skein of expensive yarn. I am totally enamoured now. It’s wonderful to see a project progress quickly, just because it is mostly holes. I just started with laceweight yarn, though, and that is a different story. It’s much trickier, and I’m going to have to frog the shawl I started. It looks terrible, and it’s so hard for me to do. I need to get used to the threadlike yarn.

6. Val says:

Hey Kristen- I have a question that probably should have a painfully obvious answer. On the wrong side (even rows) it says to knit the knits and purl the purls- so what do you do with the yarn overs? Feeling a little stupid over having to ask that, but I really wasn’t sure and I didn’t know if using the wrong stitch would mess it up.

BTW- I was looking for this pattern and couldn’t remember your web adress. Did you know that if you search for Knitting blog and Kristen you’re the first result? LOL. Sorry- just entertained me.

7. Kristen says:

No worries, Val! Purl the backs of the yarn overs. It won’t ruin it if you knit them, but I purled them.

• Mitchell says:

I knitted the YO’s, because everything else in the pattern stitches was a purl; I assumed that if I were to k k’s and p p’s that meant I should knit the YO’s too, or it’d just be “WS: k3, p to last 3 st, k3″

but that’s just me.

8. cdmclean says:

I know your mom (I’m a librarian too 8-) and she is so proud of you and your talented knitting. She said I needed to check out your blog. I’m adding you to my list of blogs to check out. Unfortunately, I only crochet, so I won’t be able to take advantage of your lovely designs, but I will let my knitting buddies know about your blog! Thanks, CD

9. Betsy says:

I’ve made the Dayflower scarf, and that purl together twist through the back loop nearly did me in. Ugh! I much prefer your idea–it’s very clever and drop-dead gorgeous. Your mom is very lucky. :D

10. lindsay says:

Wouldn’t you just purl every other row? I’m not seeing any knits to knit.

11. scarf shawl says:

There are so many different colors, which can put this kind of scarf shawl what colors you want, chances are you can find them. For example, if you are looking for white clothes to wear suits you this evening, you can try Pashmina Wrap Lavender. It is light and soft and the color is absolutely beautiful!,

12. ruco says:

Are looking for a funky design on your scarf? Maybe hang printing some species that runs on your shoulders? There are many different models to choose from! Looking for something with a fine model for this, why not try the Mary Rose Embroidered Wool Pashmina Wrap; this is a beautiful shawl with subtle floral patterns and striking colors. Feeling a little playful? Try the green animal Leopard silkscreen Blend Wrap. It’s fun and quite purfect!

13. Susan Foster says:

Thank you for the pattern!

3 Pings/Trackbacks for "Lazy Susan"
  1. Brown says:

Brown

No! You shouldn’t do that!

2. [...] Scarf Pattern: Susan’s Scarf Yarn: Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk Aran in a light blue (25017) Date Started: November 5, 2008 Date [...]

3. [...] first scarf is Kristin Hanley Cardozo’s Susan scarf.  I used the yarn I submitted to last years fair.  It is a 3 ply merino which I dyed using food [...]